The definition by Richard Florida: "The index charts the concentration of working artists, musicians, writers, designers, and entertainers across metropolitan areas." So it measures only those with art, music or another "bohemian" vocation as a primary job.More detailed explanation: http://www.creativeclass.
Here is Top 10 / Bottom 10 metros.
As for the district, below is the ranking of "hipster" neighborhood bynabewise.com
- San Francisco http://nabewise.com/sf/ov
- New York City http://nabewise.com/nyc/o
- Boston http://nabewise.com/bosto
- Chicago http://nabewise.com/chica
- Seattle http://nabewise.com/seatt